Chichester, UK

Top 5 tips to make your wardrobe more sustainable

Saturday, March 28, 2020




One thing I've learned on how to be more sustainable with my clothes is to utilize what I already own. Rather than always going out and buying new outfits, how can I make my current clothes really pull their weight?

My suggestions are...

1. Layering

I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to fashion I'll be the first to admit. So I tend to stick minimal layers (unless it's super cold out!), like a t-shirt, then a jumper and a jacket with jeans (told you not very experimental!). But I'm learning that layering can make all the difference to a look and make more use of my wardrobe.
Things like putting a t-shirt under a cami for a 90s vibe. Or a roll neck under a sweater. A long sleeve top under a t-shirt, or denim jacket under a winter coat. I've pinned some ideas on my Pinterest board below...






2. Materials that last

I don't think I need to explain this one in too much depth! But the amount of cheap clothes I've brought that bobble after a couple of wears, straps break on one wear (yes you Primark!), jeans with too much elastane that they sag in the knee area after a couple of wears. 

Invest in good materials, like cotton (yes cotton production is extremely wasteful on water use but one or two great pair of long-wearing jeans is better than 6 or 7 cheap ones that you don't wear), wool (that keeps you warm and lasts longer) and linen as it's breathable for the summer and looks so chic. 
I mean this is all common sense I like to think, but it does make a difference to not buying new all the time. 

3. Working with what you've got-ie styling

Like I've said before I'm not the best at coming up with great looks, but one thing that does help get more out of my current clothing is styling. 
Who doesn't love a French tuck? (To those looking baffled, its where you *casually* tuck the front of your top into the waistband of you're trousers for a chilled out vibe). Or rolling up the hems of your trousers, even taking scissors to a t-shirt to make it cropped (and then adding a long sleeve top underneath!). See the next tip for how I get inspo with how to style my looks.

4. Finding inspiration

So when I think I have nothing in my wardrobe to wear, I try to get creative. I often look at what I own and think none of it goes together. But then I go onto Pinterest and search for outfit ideas. Suddenly I start seeing looks that I can recreate with items in my wardrobe. This has helped me on numerous occasions to pull looks together that I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.
It helps me broaden my horizons on how to dress put simply! I also look on Instagram for streetwear looks to give my imagination a boost. I also like the idea of customizing my clothes. I've recently got into embroidery and if you look on Pinterest there are so many ways to elevate a pair of jeans or a plain t-shirt. The world is your oyster!

5. Staple garments

I've kinds touched on this already but having key items in your wardrobe will help pull looks together. By this, I mean some sturdy well-made jeans (look for ones with more cotton and feel have a thickness to them- less elastane means less sagging. I have found some good pairs in Primark of all places that have lasted me many seasons), plain and patterned t-shirts for layering, black jeans that go with almost any look, a white shirt that can be layered and teamed with a t-shirt or a cami and can be worn casual or dressed up. 
In the summer maxi or midi dresses/skirts that can be worn with sandals, Converses or Dr Marten boots and can be layered with t-shirts, shirts and light jackets. I'm sure you have many ideas too, please do let me know!

So with those tips, you should find you can do more with what you already own. So less buying fast fashion and saving you money which you could invest in more quality and durable items.

If you have any suggestions of your own, please do let me know in the comments below.

Thank you so much for reading. Until next time,

Abbie xxx

Post a Comment