Chichester, UK

Why I shop sustainably

Saturday, March 28, 2020


I'm a lover of fashion and from my late teens to my twenties I have shopped the high street with some sort of compulsion. Most of my wages were spent on regular trips to retailers such as Primark, H&M and Topshop. I have even spent 10 years working for fast-fashion retailers. And I will admit I was ignorant and nieve to how the clothes in my wardrobe were made. And also how I would buy into trends only to wear them a few times, only to banish them to the back of my wardrobe when they were no longer in fashion. I mean what a waste.

Perhaps it's a coming of age thing, but getting into my 30's I've become more aware of the manufacture of clothes and the impact that fast fashion has on the environment. I can't say there was one thing in particular that sparked my interest in shopping more sustainably. It was more a case of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle coming together and creating a bigger picture.

In 2018 in saw an advert for a vintage kilo sale. I had no idea what this was exactly but after a bit of research I decided I'd go along. And I've not looked back. I have been to many different vintage kilo sales since my first one in 2018. And my reason for going?
1) To find a more individual look. I was getting bored with the sameness on the high street and dressing like everyone else. Shopping at vintage sales is so much fun as I love never knowing what I'll find. And as well as being an affordable way to shop (traditionally it's £15 per kilo of weight of clothes), I can customize them too should I wish. 
2) It's stopping me from shopping fast fashion and giving money to retailers who make clothes in unethical processes (unsafe factories, low pay to factory workers, pollution of waterways by the factories to name a few bad practices). The clothes at the vintage sales would otherwise end up in the landfill if they were not repurposed. Imagine a perfectly fitting pair of Levis lying to rot (*sad face*). 
3) I've mentioned this previously but it's also the cost. Fast fashion is generally affordable, I think that's it's appeal, as was well as being on-trend if that's your bag. Shopping sustainably can be affordable too. Be it from a charity shop, swap shop event, online sites like Depop and eBay, vintage sale or car boot. Yes some sustainable brands can be more pricey but shop second hand and you're bound to save yourself a few quid.


These methods of shopping are helping me shop more sustainably. And by doing so I am helping save clothes from the landfill which is bad for the environment. It's helping by not filling my wardrobe full of new synthetic materials that do not degrade well. It's helping by not buying new clothes that are made in ways that pollute the environment from chemical waste going into the waterways by the manufacturing factories. It's helping charity shops by purchasing from them and giving them money rather than retailers that are known for bad practices.

But that all said, I'm not perfect! I can't keep away from the high street completely. I do still like to have a snoop around the high street, see what's on-trend and get inspiration. Somethings I just can't get as good secondhand, like sleepwear, underwear and a not bobbly jumper (trust me most secondhand jumpers have bobbles from being preloved). I think it's about balance. I like to mix up my look with old and new. And when I do shop on the high street, I buy pieces that have longevity and made from sustainable materials if possible. H&M for example do have a range of organic garments and TENCEL is being used more and more.

I'd love to know what you think about shopping sustainably. Does this interest you? If so what drives you to shop this way?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Until next time,

Abbie xx



Post a Comment